Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Coming out of a Different Kind of Closet

July 2, 13

Her freedom amazed me.  I don't know her well.  Actually I don't think I know her at all.  Yesterday was the first time I met her.  She is family.  

JD, as I shall call her,  is a member of my extended family.  I have a pretty big family and yesterday we were together to celebrate our aunt's 100th birthday.  JD brought her female partner along to the family gathering... a very Mennonite family gathering.

I wonder if JD felt welcome and loved around her Mennonite aunts, uncles and cousins.

I know I felt welcome and loved by my family... but then again there were only two others at that gathering that knew of the closet that I was coming out of.   Nobody asked, so nobody heard that I haven't "gone to church" for over four years.  (six years if my stint in the house group doesn't count).

 It almost seems like a harder closet to emerge from.  There are really no visible signs when I am out and about among the traditional crowds.  Unless someone were to ask the question...

"Where do you go to church?"

I get the feeling that even if some people do know about it... It is not the most favourite of chosen topics around the family table.  I can understand the awkwardness.

Part of me envies JD for her freedom.  I really hope that yesterday, she was embraced instead of judged.  I know that there are a lot more family members that have embraced different choices, other than their Mennonite Heritage, and they are still loved.  My dad traded in his Mennonite religion to become Lutheran and he still belonged to the family.

We are a close family, even thought we are spread out over the globe with similar or different life choices.  We are loved because we are family.




No comments:

Post a Comment