Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Jesus: My Big Brother



 "Jesus responded, "Who do you think are my mother anbrothers?" Looking around, taking in everyone seated around him, he said, "Right here, right in front of you - my mother and my brothers. Obedience is thicker than blood. The person who obeys God’s will is my brother and sister and mother." Mark 3:33-35


 "I’ve told you these things for a purpose: that my joy might be your joy, and your joy wholly mature.  This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends.  You are my friends when you do the things I command you.  I’m no longer calling you servants because servants don’t understand what their master is thinking and planning. No, I’ve named you friends because I’ve let you in on everything I’ve heard from the Father."
John 15: 11-15

 I didn't have a big brother... My parents had two girls, so I have a big sister, but I didn't have a big brother.  I can remember wanting one.  I think I asked my parents for a brother -  (probably before I realized that they couldn't give me a big brother, short of adopting someone older than me).  I had this fantasy as a child.  I wanted a brother, not just a brother, but a big brother.  

In my mind a big brother would be a protector.  He would be someone who would look out for me.  He would be the guy in school that fluffed my hair when we passed in the hallway.  

"Hey sis, what's up? " He would say.  Even when he was in the company of his friends.  

I would be shy, not wanting to interfere, but he would stop.  Right in front of his friends, he would ask me how my last class was.  I would tell him "okay", even though it wasn't.  And he would smile back at me his hand would gently caress the side of my face and he would wink with understanding.  

"We can talk about it later at home.  Meet me at the front doors after school, I will walk with you."  

Insecurity was my boyfriend as a child.  I didn't have any "boy" friends.  I knew in my own head that all the boys wanted nothing to do with me.  Boys were unreachable and untouchable... boys were to be feared.  I have often wondered, that if I had a brother when I was growing up, if that fear would be less than what it was.  I would have an advocate among the male species...  Someone who was around my age and understood me.




 And then came Jesus...

Jesus, the older brother I didn't have.  Or maybe he was the older brother I had all along. 

Jesus, my Saviour, my Creator, my Best Friend... and  my brother?  

Think about it.  The one that is my protector, the one that will stop in the middle of the hallway, ruffle my hair, caress the side of my face and ask me how my last class was.  When I say "okay", he offers to walk me home, because he knows that once he gets me alone and away from the crowd, he will get the real story.  

Jesus... my big brother.  I like that.  



No comments:

Post a Comment