Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

RUBY'S CHRISTMAS




December 25th. 2013

It is 5:30 and I am laying in bed beside my sleeping husband.  The turkey is still thawing out in a cooler full of water (which I have to change out every hour).  I just discovered that I didn't get oven bags for the turkey, I got a brining bag instead.  (confusion due to the excitement).  So now I have to conventionally cook the turkey.  So glad there is only myself and my husband and two cats for dinner today.

Yesterday, Hubby and I went to see the Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug in Imax 3D.  What an experience.



I have been pondering what to write about today.  A lot of things have been churning in my head as to the reason for the season.  Right now, this year, in my little Alberta home town... I am not convinced Jesus is still the reason for the season.


I get that Jesus is the reason Christians celebrate Christmas.  I get that the establishment of Christmas as a holiday had to do with our human desire to celebrate the coming of our Saviour.   I get that...

But right now...  I don't see too much Jesus in Christmas.  Maybe because I didn't go to Candlelight service last night.


 I thought about it.  I thought about sneaking in at the local Baptist church to see what they are doing... but I didn't.  Instead I got on the phone and called the Caribbean.  I have a long time friend that lives in the islands.  She was happy to hear my voice.


In contemplating this whole Christmas reason thing... I sent out an email and got a response from one of my last pastors.  I am thankful for his response and it was definitely worth more than 2 cents.  I want to share a portion of that email with you.  

"I believe celebration times (traditions, if you will) are helpful for humans. So, I am a fan of celebrating different aspects of Christ’s life and work at different times of year and even on a schedule. For me, it’s a spiritual discipline that helps me remember (not forget) various aspects of God’s plan of salvation. Of course, there is always the danger of replacing the meaning with the tradition and that happens routinely. I take some comfort in the fact that this has always been the case in human history... just in different forms and different traditions. I’ve come to believe that God has chosen to dwell in (or break in) to the mess of human culture, sin, tradition, and spirituality. He condescends to us and our frames of reference and enters into the human mess." (LY)


I couldn't have said it any better. We do have a mess down here.  And God showed up in the middle of that mess so we could experience Redemption and a Relationship with our Creator.  I still don't think Jesus has a need for a birthday party, but maybe we have a need to give him one.  


Over the last few days I have been collecting my favourite Christmas songs on Youtube.  I thought I would share them with you.

 I like Christmas Music.  Some of my favourite albums are Boney M (a classic) , Bing Crosby (also a classic) , Off Limits ( A Calgary guys vocal band); Nathan Berg (someone I've known for over 30 years); Frank Sinatra; Rosemary Clooney and Reba.

I have added the youtube links to this post.

(Faith Hill)

(Boney M)

(Pentatonix)

(Boney M)

(Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye,
Rosemary Clooney and Vera Ellen)

(The Royal Guardsmen)

(Irish Rovers)

 (Nathan Berg)

My 2013 Christmas wish list:

1. I hope the turkey works out

2.  I hope my family has forgiven me once again 
for not being with them on Christmas Eve. 

3. I hope my husband likes his gift I got him.  

4. Sleep (for both of us)

See... not much at all.  


So for what it is worth...

MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

... and thank you Jesus for entering my mess. 

RUBY

No comments:

Post a Comment