Follow my Blog on Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Amazing Performances of Amazing Hymns... and my favourites


For this blog post, I am going to veer away from my ramblings to share some really cool tunes. 
 I went hunting for my favourite performances of the a few of the great hymns that have impacted millions of lives over the years including me.  

Careful... these can send shivers down your spine.  

This is the best rendititon of The Battle Hymn of the Republic,
 by America's greatest choir...(in my books anyway!!!) 



I am a fan of Il Divo.  They have an amazing repertoire of music.  A group that comes from four different countries... these men can sing.  But can they ever sing Amazing Grace.  Best collaberation I've heard yet.  (and love those pipes)



Last year I downloaded two Hymn Collections from Alan Jackson and I am a fan.  He put together a collection of hymns as a gift for his mom.  My favourite Alan Jackson hymn on this collection is also my husband's all time favourite hymn.  



The Church's One Foundation is my all time favourite hymn.  I had it played at my wedding by my nephews. When they asked me if they could play a sax and clarinet duet, I didn't hesitate with my request.  This song is about the Bride of Christ.  Chris Rice does an amazing piano arrangement.  There is no video, just audio,  but close your eyes and listen.  It is very unique.  



I grew singing this song many Sundays.  It is fun to sing in a big crowd.  So when I saw this youtube clip, I wanted to add it to my collection.  There is nothing more amazing than watching a massive room full of people singing.  It only goes to show that you don't need to be on stage to rock the house. 



I had to include this one. It is a Will and Kate Royal Wedding clip.  I like the song and I like the fact that it was chosen as a song for the beginning of their marriage journey.  I also adore the pipe organ and cathedral acoustics, too.




Just as I am is a song that holds a precious memory for me.  It was the song that was sung at my Grandparent's funerals.  Paul Brandt's gospel album is a treasure.  This is definitely my favourite of his collection.  



And a good hymn collection wouldn't be complete without a couple of selections from The Gaither Homecoming Family.  They look like they are really having fun.  That's what it is all about. Also,  I will always think of my Dad when I hear them.  





And last, but definately not least, is actually my Mom's favourite hymn, "How Great Thou Art". Lee Greenwood does the best cut of this song. The video is a slide show I posted to Youtube.  It is a collection of some of my favourite scenic shots over a few years of photography.  






No comments:

Post a Comment